While robots do not look all that much like human beings yet, using anatomical names for robotics parts makes it easier to understand how they function. Using a nomenclature with comparable parts of the human body helps make it clear just what the robotic part does. One such example is robot wrists, a part that functions remarkably similar in function if not quite in look to the human wrist.
The Robotic Wrist in Action
Robotic wrists normally connect the robotic arm to an end effector, usually a gripper that holds whatever object or tool the robot is using and manipulating. In some cases, with robots that have a fixed function, the wrist simply connects the arm to the robot’s tool itself.
While the robotic arm’s function is to move those objects and tools from one place to another, the robotic wrist’s function is to properly aim those tools and objects for the work the robot is doing, usually by rotating, twisting, or angling up and down on a hinge, or all of the above. Unlike the larger joints of the arm, the robotic wrist normally has two or three smaller, compact joints, making this robotic part a smaller one in most cases.
Things to Consider About Robot Wrist Functionality
- The weight it will need to bear – to be sure the robotic wrist as well as the rest of the body can properly handle all the jobs it will need to perform.
- How many joints does it need and which types – it is important to consider along what axes the robot wrist will need to move, how precise it will need to position the tools and objects the robot is working with, and if it needs to rotate, move horizontally, move vertically, or all three.
- Compatibility – the robot wrist will need to be compatible with the arm and the grip, if there is one, or the tool serving as the end effector. A company buying all of its manipulator parts from one place or using the same brand and model is a good idea, but regardless, it is important to verify compatibility, and make sure things can be fitted and connected correctly. Finally, it is also important to be sure the robotic wrist and its functionality is compatible with the job at hand.
A recent article stated that mobile web apps for information and entertainment are now a norm. As our society continues to become more mobile, there is no better time than the present to implement these apps into our daily lives. So what types of mobile apps can we expect? What types of services will be available? And how fast will these new mobile apps be available?
The news article noted that Google’s Android software will allow users to stream full length movies on their phones, via the wifi. This is not the first time that this has happened as Google has allowed music to be played on the big screen in a similar fashion to iTunes. The company also announced that it will allow TV 5 are to be controlled by voice commands. This means that the user can now control their TV, by speaking to the TV on their mobiles. Fast, easy and instant mobile web app for tech news!
Another great idea that came out of the Google press release was the integration of internet access with the Gmail service. This is a huge step forward for any modern smartphone owner who wants to keep up with the latest tech news. Google has made an effort to be more personal and is attempting to combine their two most popular services into one. The result is a great place to find and send important emails. The ultimate benefit of Gmail is that it means that the whole of your life is within reach.
The BBC did a good job of describing the way in which Google and others are working to make their services more personal and integrate them more tightly with our technology. They did however miss one aspect which would have been great for everyone to see. That is to say the fact that the BBC is one of many companies trying to provide a great place to find and send links. In other words to provide a W3techs gateway to all the latest tech news.
How to cover news
Axios is another great site to follow for all your tech news and trends. They not only cover major news stories but also some more obscure ones that you might not otherwise find by browsing a single website. Their newsletter is also very popular and if you are not signed up to their service you should consider doing so as soon as possible. The great thing about being a part of Axios is that you get to choose from a variety of subscription options, this includes a free trial so you can see if it is right for you before you commit.
There are many more sites that have become more actively involved in providing information to their subscribers. If you are already a subscriber then it is really worth checking out the sites that you are already using and see if they can add a few more features for your enjoyment. From 3 December 2021 Apple is expected to reveal new products including the new MacBook Pro, Google is said to be working on a new smartphone, and Amazon will be expanding its Kindle retail platform to cover additional devices such as the Kindle Fire.
The last thing any business needs is to be implicated in transactions of questionable ethical and legal standing. In an increasingly global and virtual business world, the importance of integrating PEP and sanction checks when conducting transactions has never been higher. Doing so helps to ensure a business has no legal or political blowback for conducting business with someone whom they prefer not to associate.
PEP and Sanction Checks Explained
Conducting PEP and sanction checks on customers help companies avoid running afoul of local, national, or international laws preventing certain types of transactions by certain people. Among the importance of these laws are the desire to avoid conflicts of interest by public officials, prevent money laundering, or prevent bad or violent actors from participating in business.
The types of lists that may be important to check and cross reference before engaging in business with an individual include:
- Politically Exposed Persons (PEP) – those with a public or government function that may have conflicts of interest
- Government Sanction Lists – includes people who have been sanctioned or prevented from participating in some forms of businesses by one or more governments
- Anti-Terrorism Lists – includes those not allowed to engage in certain activities due to suspected involvement in terrorist activities
- CIA Lists – includes important world leaders and political actors around the world
- Sanction Lists – produced by governments around the world as well as international organizations like the United Nations and include illegal actors ranging form individuals to organizations, businesses, and governments. These may include individuals or entities involved in human rights violations, money laundering, drug trafficking, illegal weapons sales, and international financial crimes such as fraud or contract violations.
Implementing PEP checks and sanctions checks ensure a business does not engage with any of these bad actors. They are also a requirement of Anti-Money Laundering or AML and Customer Due Diligence or CDD regulations. All companies should be sure to run checks for PEP and other sanctions whenever onboarding new customers as well as routinely reviewing them for the presence of any clients. An automated PEP and sanction screening process via software or databases makes this process easier, faster, and automatic, assuring that a business is in compliance with all AML and CDD requirements.